Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday: A Hodge Podge of Mod Podge (for a Snow Day in the Lodge Lodge)

In anticipation of being snowed in for a day or two, I ran to the store to get all the necessities......you know, chalkboard paint, scrapbook paper, a couple of buckets, a feather boa, some ribbon, and of course, Mod Podge.  Okay, so that's probably not the "necessities" most of you had in mind.  With all the news channels warning of just how bad the snow was gonna be, most people were scrambling to the grocery store to stock up on food and maybe a shovel and ice melt.  Me?  Well, my first thought was, "What a perfect time to try out that new craft project I've been wanting to do!"  (Don't worry.  While I was running around getting my "necessities," my sweet hubby took care of the real necessities.)

A couple weeks ago, I was browsing in a local boutique, when I came across an adorable shabby chic bucket, covered with scrapbook paper,.....the price tag?  $75!!!  Ouch!!  But it got me to thinking.....and when I start thinking, well.... I don't stop! 

Now my creative juices were flowing.....  Knowing that I had a couple of baby showers coming up, I thought it would be a perfect container for their gifts.  As my imagination flowed, I begin thinking, "What if I added some kind of trim to the top, maybe ribbon, or a feather boa, or even tassels?  And what if it had a small chalkboard area to write on?  I could even attach a piece of chalk for future use!  And what if it had flowers?  Why, I could even make a flower magnet for it!  Oh, the possibilities are endless!!!"  Like I said, once I start, I don't stop!

So back to my story....the night before the storm, I ran to our local craft store, list in hand, and this is what I emerged with:


bucket, chalkboard paint, Mod Podge, lavendar & green scrapbook paper (it just so happens that both friends are using the same color in their nurseries), ribbon, feather boa, and chalk.

I also grabbed a few more supplies from around the house....hot glue, ink pad, another bucket that was just sitting in our garage, some more ribbon, a brush for the Mod Podge, some masking tape & cardboard/newspaper for the spray paint....and I was ready to create!

So I ran outside into our freezing cold garage to apply the chalkboard paint to one side of the bucket.  (Okay, I must admit that my  husband, knowing how cold it was, offered to paint it for me.  And I quickly agreed.  So while I sat in the nice, warm house, he applied the chalkboard paint in the freezing, cold garage.)  Of course, paint won't dry when it's below zero outside!  So we brought it in & let it sit by the fire to dry.  (Tip: You might want to tape off the edges of the bucket if you don't want them to be black.)  


So after two coats of paint, it was ready for Mod Podge. 

I tore the edges of the paper for a more shabby chic look, but you could just give them a straight edge if you prefer.  (Tip: If you don't want the white part of the paper to show when it's torn, you need to tear the piece you're going to use toward you.  Whichever piece is pulled away from you will have the white edge.)








I decided to add some ink here & there to add to the aged, shabby chic look.  (You could apply the ink to each individual piece of paper before you adhere it to the bucket, but that was too time consuming for me!) 

Then I sealed it with a thin layer of Mod Podge.  After it had dried, I simply hot glued a lavendar feather boa around the top edge, tied on a piece of chalk (lavendar, no less), & added some ribbon to the handles. 
(I think it would be cute to use tassel or fringe trim, or even some lace, instead of a boa, too!)
 
Voila!  A shabby chic chalkboard bucket! (for much less than $75)


Won't that just be perfect for diapers or stuffed animals or other baby stuff?

Here's a look at all the goodies I put in it!


 Then I added a some lavendar & green tissue paper, grabbed a couple of clothes pins to attach the cute little baby socks, & let one toy hang out, just for that added touch! (Okay, really I let it hang out because I ran out of room in the bucket!)


Here's a look at the 2nd one I made.  It's a little smaller than the first.

Instead of using ribbon, I added hairbows to the handle!




I think these would make cute Easter baskets, too!

************

All this Mod Podge reminded me of a gift I put together for my husband while we were dating....so I decided to share it as well....

I simply color copied various photos, movie ticket stubs, sections of cards we had given to each other, & other momentos.  I then cut them out, and using Mod Podge, applied them to a cardboard box (purchased at our local craft store).   For years, my husband used the box to store other momentos from our dating years.  (I took it over a while back, however, & it now has a place in my craft room, storing extra ribbon!)

****************
Hmmm....I have plenty of Mod Podge & paint left over.....what should I make now?  I'm thinking maybe a bucket for my craft room..... maybe some animal print, with a few rhinestones, or maybe I could add a hot pink flower magnet, or hang a tassel from the handle, or I could.........


{I'm linking with Hoo's Got Talent? at Night Owl Crafting.  Check it out for more great inspiration!}

9 comments:

  1. let's try again...i love these! they are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These projects turned out great. I love Mod Podge. Your bucket is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so stinkin cute! Love it! I want to go make one now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a charming bucket! Love the colors!

    I have been working on a project with Mod Podge. Hope it turns out as whimsical and pretty as yours!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This has given me such a good idea for a flower container for my front porch. Thank you so much for sharing. This is my first visit to your site. I came via BNOTP. I'll check back regularly to see what other ideas you have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun visit I had reading your blog tonight.....love, love, love the chalkboard buckets......most creative and really useful, also. Hope I get to make one. You have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you all enjoyed it. Thanks for the kind words. I'm new at blogging & still have quite a bit to learn about it, but I'm looking forward to meeting lots of new people! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shae, I'm visiting from BNOP. These are just TOO CUTE! Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete