Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday: Dressing Up Diapers & Other Little Tidbits

This post is more of a tidbit & idea post than it is a tutorial {although I will share links to a couple of tutorials a little further down}, but I hope that it provides at least a little inspiration for someone out there in blogland.


I don't know about you, but when it comes to baby gifts, I often want to give something practical, but at the same time, I want it to be fun & cute.......something pleasing to the eye.  
A package of diapers, though extremely practical, is typically not very eye-catching........now you could just wrap it in cute paper or throw it in a gift sack & call it done, but you know me.......that would be too easy!  And if you've been following my blog for a little while, you've probably learned that I'm all about gift baskets! {Click here to see some of the gift baskets I've put together over the past few years}.
So how do you dress up diapers to make them a little cuter?

Well, one idea is to display them in a cute bucket or container.

This past week, when I was buying a gift for a co-worker's baby shower, I decided to put together this fun little bucket of diapers.

I began by purchasing a plain black metal bucket on clearance at Hobby Lobby, and then "dressed it up" using chalkboard paint, scrapbook paper, ribbon, & trim.


So how exactly did I "dress it up", you ask?  Well, back in February {before I had a single follower!}, one of the first posts I did was a tutorial on how to make these fun buckets.  So rather than repeating the instructions, feel free to click here to get the scoop.  It's really rather easy!
 

One of the benefits is that you can choose any theme or color scheme.  I chose pink, black, & white for this one to coordinate with the baby's nursery.  {Even the little piece of chalk is pink!}

But I've also done lavendar & green in the past.

You can also make it pretty much any size you want.
{You could even use a large beverage tub if you wanted!}
 The possibilities are endless!  You're only limited by your imagination!


 Once the bucket was complete, I simply took the diapers out of the package, rolled them up, secured them with coordinating ribbon, & filled the bucket.


Not only are the diapers practical, but the little bucket can be used for a variety of baby items later on!


Of course, you could fill it with other baby goodies, too!  It doesn't just have to be diapers.


So what about for boys? 
Just skip the ribbon & trim and use boy scrapbook paper, or you could forgo the scrapbook paper altogether, & simply paint a little chalkboard in the center!

You could even make one as a wedding or birthday present.  Just adjust the colors & content as appropriate!
And while you're at it, make one for yourself, too!
***************************************************

Another idea of dressing up diapers is to make a diaper cake.

{Click here for a tutorial}.

 


Again, you can decide on the theme, colors, & size!

What other baby gift ideas do you have?  I'd love to hear them!

I'm linking with the following parties:
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle
Craft-O-Maniac Monday @ Craftomaniac
Market Yourself Monday @ Sumo’s Sweet Stuff
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogie Board Cottage
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
What's Up Wednesday @ Sew Woodsy
Hoo’s Got Talent @ Night Owl Crafting
Make It Yours @ My Back Yard Eden
Show & Share @ Just A Girl
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts
Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions
Friday Favorites @ Simply Sweet Home
Pink Saturday @ How Sweet The Sound
Newbie Party @ DebbieDoos
What I Made Wednesday @ Sweet Peas & Bumble Bees
It's a Party @ A Creative Princess





 

32 comments:

  1. All moms-to-be would love diapers displayed so prettily. I used to make diaper cakes for showers, and friends would ask me to do one up if they had to go to a shower. I used to use T-pins to hold the diapers in place but they are hard to find here. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shae! I remember that post and it is one of my favorites. It also made me think of color combos you used and were just terrific! I am co hosting a shower event and will look at your posts for ideas.I believe I asked you before....would you be so kind when you put together future gift baskets, could you also share them us? You could have a second career in gift baskets and party ideas. Thank you for taking the time to post such wonderful and inspiring photos and descriptions! Blessings, Emelia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I host a baby shower, I like to buy a hostess gift that can also be used as the centerpiece for my tablescape. Sometimes I have a Moses basket made up. Then I place pots of flowers in it for the centerpiece and send all home with the new moony at the end of the day. Thanks for sharing all your darling ideas. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. The diaper bucket is so pretty and the cake too cute for words.

    I love them both.
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a darling idea! Love the bucket too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea!

    I would love if you'd link this up at Sew Woodsy today at our What's Up Wednesday's link party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These diapers are the cutest I've ever seen:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun, colorful, and creative! I love your buckets and the cake too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the diaper bucket! Such a creative display! (Plus, I love the choice of colors, patterns, and fringe!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Cute! I found your blog through a linky party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!

    We would love it if you would come and link this up at our What I Made Wednesday Linky Party!

    ~Alisa
    sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So Cute! I found your blog through a linky party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!

    We would love it if you would come and link this up at our What I Made Wednesday Linky Party!

    ~Alisa
    sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. New folower from thrilling thursday hop!! Your ideas are great! Im looking to do a diaper cake for the first time for a friend!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shae, I would love to sign on as a follower but for some reason the "followers" on your sidebar is blank and I am unable to. I will check back later to see if it is working.

    ReplyDelete
  14. FlyAwayHome - Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I've noticed lately that there have been some issues with followers, as I can't even see them! My followers # has increased, but I can't see who has newly joined. I don't know if it's a blogger issue or an internet explorer issue. Hopefully it will get fixed soon. Thanks again for stopping by. Shae

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Pink Saturday Shae,
    What a darling creation.
    I don't know what new mommy would not like to receive something so pretty and sweet.
    I WOULD HAVE LOVED TOO WHEN MY BABIES WERE LITTLE.
    I have had much trouble with blogger and have lost 2 blogs.
    I too, would love it if you became a friend of Angel Hugs.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Angel Hugs
    Simply Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea. Love the tub full of diapers. Very cute. Happy Pink Saturday. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful ideas for a shower. I am going to one for a little boy Sunday. I had a friend make a baby quilt for him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great ideas for displaying diaper and making a fabulous gift! I love the how you decorated the tub, and the cake is fabulous too. Happy Pink Saturday! ~Marti

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an awesome idea!!! LOVE the basket!
    I'm visiting from Debbie's party, and I'm your newest follower!!
    Can't wait to see what you make next!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  20. Daniella - Nice to meet you! Thanks for stopping by & I'm honored that you've chosen to follow me. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH Shae, This is the sweetest idea I have seen in a long time! I hope you don't mind but I HAVE TO USE IT! (full credit of course) I have a ton of scrap fabric laying around and what a way to use it up. Perfect for coordinating a tablescape! Okay, I ahve to go drool over some of your other pictures :)
    ~~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am doing a baby shower in a few months and this post is going in my inspiration file! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    Jenni
    kissedbyafrog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What fun and CUTE ideas these are!!! You're wonderfully creative!

    I'm your newest follower; found you via Debbie's blog. Love the name of your blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  24. PJ - So glad to have you! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wendy - Thanks for the sweet comment. I'd love to see yours when your finished!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this idea! I can't wait to make one of my own for a future baby shower gift! Thank you for linking up to Sew Woodsy last week. We hope you'll come back today and link up another craft project!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Too cute! Who wouldn't love receiving those?! I would love for you to link up tomorrow to "It's a Party"!
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Shae..this has to be the cutest idea I have ever seen. Thanks so much for sharing with my newbie party. Hope you are enjoying visiting others too and making some new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love making pretty, unique gifts for showers. Yours turned out so nice -- love the little chalkboard on the front and the way you dressed up that tin in such pretty colors! Beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are all adorable. You are so talented!

    Thanks for linking up with me. I just pinned this to my pinterest page.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You know how much I love this! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your diaper tub! You were last week's winner for the most viewed project during our {{What I Made Wednesday}} linky party!!! =) Not only are you featured (come and grab a button), but your blog name is on our sidebar for the week! Yeah!

    BTW, do you have a blog button we could share?

    ~Briana
    www.sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete